Middle Boulder Trail Head
On FS Road 40N17, behind Callahan. Trail Head is on Middle Boulder Creek.
Directions to Callahan from I-5 heading North: Take I-5 north of Weed. At bottom of grade after Weed, take the first exit (Exit 751) toward Edgewood/Gazelle. Follow old 99S to Gazelle (about 7 miles). At Gazelle, turn left onto Gazelle-Callahan Rd. Follow it over the mountain and it will turn into Hwy. 3 at the bottom of the other side (about 25 miles). Continue on to Callahan (about 1 1/2 miles). As soon as your reach Callahan, turn left up the hill behind the Saloon. (You should see the cute little ole church as soon as you round the first bend).
Directions to Middle Boulder Trail Head: Use Forest Service Road 40N17. Trail head is right on the road at Middle Boulder Creek.
Good dirt road all the way past Callahan.
Forest Service Trinity Alps Wilderness Map, East Half side of map. Two "mile squares" left of R.8W. (top of map) and one "mile square" above T.39N. (side of map).
Middle Boulder TH is usually open by May.
Trail Head Ammenities:
- Two corrals, each 50'x50'.
- There is not much room to turn around trailers. Best to turn them around about 200' before trail head or go on past and up to Fox Creek TH (3 miles further) to turn around.
- This is a medium used Trail Head but the corrals are rarely ever used, so the chances are very good of finding an available corral to use.
- There are no camp-sites at this trail head. If you camp here you basically will be camping on the edge of the road.
- There is no water at the corrals, but the creek is right at the trail head
- There are no out-houses.
- No fees to camp or use corrals.
- There is one trail heading out of this trail-head.
Trails out of Middle Boulder TH:
- The trail out of Middle Boulder TH branches after about 1 1/2 miles with one branch going to Telephone Lake and the other branch going to Middle Boulder Lake. Both branches continue on up to the PCT. You can make a nice loop ride between Telephone Lake and Middle Boulder Lake. You can also make another nice loop ride from Middle Boulder Lake over to East Boulder and Upper Boulder Lakes and back via the PCT.
Trail Heads Home/
Zinkel Long Ears & Pack
All material on this site
© 2006 by Zinkel Long Ears & Pack