China Gulch Trail Head
Photo taken from trail at top of ridge looking at Thompson Peak
Trail Head Elevation:4,800'
Ranger District to contact for more information: Salmon River (Ft. Jones)
Location: China Gulch Trailhead is off the Callahan Cecilville Rd. about 15 miles past the Carter Meadows Summit.
Directions to China Gulch Trailhead
Follow directions to Carter Meadows Summit and continue on for another 15.5 mi. Turn to Left at the East Fork Campground/Petersburg sign.
You’ll pass the Petersburg work station at 2.4 mi.
In another 1.3 mi. the road turns to dirt. At junction take road to the right.
At the next junction you’ll stay to the left but at all other junctions go to the right.
From start of dirt road to TH is 6.2 mi.
When you reach the TH go down to the left and there is plenty of parking and room to turn rigs around. If you need to you can continue down this road a short ways and there is a large log landing where you can turn large rigs around if needed.
Road Conditions: Paved road all the way past the Petersburg Work Station, then dirt road the rest off the way. In good condition but steep and narrow in places. Highly recommend 4 wheel drive to get into this trailhead with a trailer.
Forest Service Trinity Alps East Half Map. Just right of R 11 W. (top of map) and just below T 37 N (side of map).
China Gulch TH is usually open by June.
Trail Head Ammenities:
- There is room to turn around large horse trailers (see above).
- This is a fairly heavily used Trail Head, especially by hikers.
- There is a spring/small creek about 1/8 mile back down the road from the TH on the road you came in on. There is an old carved out trough beside the road. If the pipe is not flowing water you can climb a very short ways up the creek and re-insert it into the water. If the trough leaks take some mud and use as caulk in the corners/end.
- No hitching rails or loading ramp.
- No out-house.
- No fees to camp but you do need a free Wilderness Permit to spend nights inside the Wilderness once you leave the trail head.
- There is one trail heading out of this trail-head.
Comments: This is a short cut trail into the spectacular Grizzly meadow and lake. It goes up and over a mountain and meets up with the Grizzly Creek trail in 3 miles. It's a steep trail for a couple of miles but cuts out about 13 miles of trail if going in through the other route to Grizzly.
Trails out of China Gulch TH:
- There is only one trail out of this trail-head. It meets up with the Grizzly Creek Trail in 3 rugged miles.
Trail Heads Home/
Zinkel Long Ears & Pack
All material on this site
© 2006 by Zinkel Long Ears & Pack