Cabin Creek Trail Head
Location: About 9 miles from McCloud, CA.
Directions to Cabin Creek Trailhead:
From I-5 take Hwy. 89, just South of the city of Mt. Shasta, to McCloud.
As enter McCloud, turn Right onto Squaw Valley Road (car wash on one corner and The Old Red Barn on the other corner). Follow signs to Cabin Creek Trail Head, turning Right immediately after Friday’s Retreat RV Park, onto FS Road 39N21, which is about 6 miles from McCloud. Trail head is basically a wide spot beside the road with a nice outhouse. Trail starts down the hill and across the bridge.
Road Conditions: Road is paved all the way to the turnoff onto FS Road 39N21. This FS road has some pot holes but is in pretty good condition. Basically flat wide road all the way to trail head.
Shasta Trinity Natl. Forest Map 1997. R.3.W. (M) (top of map) and T.38.N.(4) (side of map).
Trail Head Ammenities:
- There is room to turn around large horse trailers
- Nice Outhouse
- There is water at the creek. Go across bridge to water stock.
- No fees to camp.
Trails out of Cabin Creek TH:
- There is only one trail out of this trail-head, but it meets up with the PCT within about 1/2 mile.
- The PCT in this section traverses mainly steep side hills in the trees. When heading North (west at this point) from here you'll get some gorgeous views of Mt. Shasta which is very close, and then some distant views of Mt. Lassen to the south. About 6 miles from the TH you'll get your first view of Castle Crags to the West.
- This is a low elevation section of the PCT so there is poison oak to watch out for.
Trail Heads Home/
Zinkel Long Ears & Pack
All material on this site
© 2006 by Zinkel Long Ears & Pack