Box Camp Trail Head
Location: On Lover's Camp Road (FS Road 44N45) up past Lover's Camp turn off. 12 miles from Scott River Road/Indian Scotty Camp Ground turn off.
Directions to Lover's Camp Road/Indian Scotty Camp Ground: From Fort Jones (Hwy. 3) take Scott River Road (Forest Service Station, Grocery Store and Gas Station on the three corners) and follow it for about 14 miles until you pass Jones Beach (parking on one side of road, Scott River on the other). About a mile further you'll come to the turn off to Indian Scotty Camp Ground, which is Lover's Camp Road (FS road 44N45).
Road Conditions: Lover's Camp Road is a narrow paved road all the way to the turn off to Lover's Camp. Then becomes dirt/gravel, but usually in good condition. At Lover's Camp turn off, take the road straight ahead that's signed "Paradise Lake". Box Camp is before Paradise Lake and is right on the road - can't miss it.
Forest Service Marble Mountain Wilderness Map. Between R.12.W and R.11.W. (top of map) and between T.44.N and T.43.N. (side of map).
Box Camp is usually open by late June.
Trail Head Ammenities:
- Two 20'x30' large corrals.
- There is room to turn around large horse trailers
- This is not a heavily used Trail Head/Camp Ground and the chances are good of finding an open corral and camp site here.
- There is no water at the corrals. About 1/2 mi. down the road is a creek.
- No out-house.
- No fees to camp or use corrals.
- There is one trail heading out of this trail-head.
This is not the most inviting location to camp, as it's out in the open (not under trees) and can be hot. It is very private however, and an alternative if Lover's Camp is over-full.
Box Camp is at a junction of 5 Forest Service Roads. Take the road to the left, which you follow for aways before it turns into the trail.
Trails out of Box Camp TH:
- Take the road across from the corrals (to the left as you were driving in). Follow it for about a mile and it turns into the trail, which connects with the PCT a few miles up the trail.
Trail Heads Home/
Zinkel Long Ears & Pack
All material on this site
© 2006 by Zinkel Long Ears & Pack