Ash Camp Trail Head
Ranger District to contact for more information: Shasta Trinity National Forest
Location: About 15 miles out of McCloud, CA.
Directions to Ash Creek Trailhead:
On I-5 just South of the city of Mt. Shasta take Hwy. 89 12 miles to the town of McCloud. Just as you enter McCloud turn Right onto Squaw Valley Rd. (car wash on one corner and the big old red McCloud Dairy Barn on the other corner). Follow Squaw Valley Rd. to Lake McCloud. Follow Squaw Valley Rd. around lake and across dam. Turn Right at end of dam and continue down road, which narrows, about 1/2 mile to the signed turn off to Ash Camp.
Road Conditions: Paved road all the way past Lake McCloud, then short distance of dirt road.
Shasta Trinity Natl. Forest Map 1997. R.2 W. (N) (top of map) and T.38.N.(between 4 & 5) (side of map).
This is a low elevation trail head so trail is open earlier than most in this northern mountain area.
Trail Head Ammenities:
- There is room to turn around fairly large horse trailers as long as not filled with vehicles. Suggest stopping at turn off down to trail head and walking down to check before pulling a trailer into trailhead. This is a popular fishing spot so can be full on week-ends. If it's full you can continue on past this turn-off about another 1/4 mile and camp at Centipede Trail Head which is basically a large turnout next to the road at Centipede Creek where the PCT crosses the road (no outhouse or other ammenities).
- This Trail head is right on Butcherknife Creek where it empties into the McCloud River.
- There is a nice out-house.
- No fees to camp.
- There is one trail heading out of this trail-head (The PCT going in both directions).
- This is a nice trail head to camp at, under the trees and next to the large creek.
Trails out of Ash Camp TH:
- The PCT is the only trail going out of this trail head, going in both directions.
Trail Heads Home/
Zinkel Long Ears & Pack
All material on this site
© 2006 by Zinkel Long Ears & Pack